North Judson, IN
North Judson is a town in Wayne Township, Starke County, Indiana, United States. The population was 1,772 at the 2010 census. The town owns and is the headquarters of the Chesapeake and Indiana Railroad. The area now known as North Judson was originally Brantwood, a town platted on October 1, 1859 less than a mile northwest of the current town. The town post office was established on September 24, 1860 as North Judson after Adrian Judson, one of the promoters of the Great Chicago and Eastern Railway (originally the Chicago and Cincinnati Railroad and later part of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad) which had just been laid through the town. The North was likely added to eliminate confusion with downstate Judson, Indiana. The town of North Judson proper was later laid out in 1866 and incorporated in 1888. In 1881, the Indiana, Illinois and Iowa Railroad and Chicago and Atlantic Railroad were each laid through the town. Today, the town is situated at the intersection of State Road 10 and State Road 39. North Judson is located at 41131N864633W / 41.21694N 86.77583W / 41.21694; -86.77583 (41.217078, 86.775930). According to the 2010 census, the town has a total area of 1.10 square miles (2.8km2), all land. As of the census of 2010, there were 1,772 people, 706 households, and 456 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,610.9 inhabitants per square mile (622.0/km2). There were 791 housing units at an average density of 719.1 per square mile (277.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 96.7% White, 0.1% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 1.2% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.3% of the population.